arrow-downburgerchev-downclosedepartmentdownloadglobeloaderlocationloginmagnifiersearchuser facebooklinkedintwitterxingyoutube atbechczdeesfrgbhuieitnlplsk

Unite joins the Science Based Targets Initiative

As a European company with 12 locations, we have strengthened our commitment to climate action by joining the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi). In the long term, we aim to reduce our emissions by 90% by 2050.

Unitees standing in front of a whiteboard

What is the Science Based Targets Initiative?

The SBTi is a significant collaboration between the CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project), the UN Global Compact, the World Resources Institute (WRI), and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). It supports companies in setting ambitious climate targets based on the latest scientific findings. These targets enable organisations to demonstrably contribute to limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius and preventing irreversible climate changes.

Science-based climate targets

SBTi focuses on sound climate targets. This approach ensures that the goals set are realistic and in line with internationally recognised scientific consensus. SBTi enables companies to set their net-zero targets in accordance with climate science. The initiative offers comprehensive guidance, criteria, and recommendations for companies to set net-zero targets, contributing to limiting the global temperature rise to 1.5°C.

Red alert for humanity

The latest scientific findings from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) – referred to by the United Nations as a "red alert for humanity" – show that it’s still possible to limit the global temperature rise to 1.5°C. However, we are dangerously close to this threshold. Therefore, it’s particularly important to reduce emissions now, halving global emissions by 2030 and achieving net-zero by 2050.

Nora Reumschüssel: “Companies play a crucial role in the fight against climate change. We hope our example will inspire others to take similar actions.”

Companies play a crucial role in the fight against climate change. We hope our example will inspire others to take similar actions.

Nora Reumschüssel, Corporate Sustainability Manager

Voluntary basis and preparation for the CSRD

Although the EU Corporate sustainability reporting directive (CSRD) will not be mandatory for Unite until 2026, our early commitment to the SBTi allows us to prepare well and act transparently now. Our customers and partners appreciate our commitment to transparency and responsible action.

Net-zero target: our strategy

By joining the SBTi, we’ve committed to submitting a net-zero target. Accordingly, we aim to reduce our emissions by 90% by 2050 at the latest and neutralise the remaining 10% through offset programmes and technologies such as carbon capture and storage. With the target submission, there will be a concrete action plan.

We’ve already implemented various measures that will positively impact our reduction path. For example, we’ve optimised thermal energy at Unite locations, revised our mobility concept, and implemented a sustainable travel policy. Additionally, we consider sustainability aspects in procurement and in our canteen offerings.

“We firmly believe that it is a worthwhile investment in a sustainable and liveable future. Through our commitment to the SBTi, we not only demonstrate our determination but also set standards for our industry,” concludes Nora Reumschüssel.

Abbreviations explained

Here is an overview of the technical terms used in the text and where you can find more information about them.

  • Corporate sustainability reporting directive (CSRD): an EU directive on sustainability reporting for companies. Learn more.

  • Carbon capture and storage (CCS): a technology that captures CO2 from industrial processes or directly from the environment and stores it underground for as long as possible. The goal is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Learn more.

  •  Net-zero target: the aim to reduce a company's net greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to zero. The remaining emissions are offset by measures such as reforestation or carbon capture and storage. Learn more.

  • Find out more about the Science Based Target Initiative.

Sustainability at Unite

Learn more about Unite’s sustainability strategy and what we’ve already achieved.